Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Six Little Ladybugs

It's been months since I've written and I've got some catching up to do. Summer was busy and went by fast, as always. It's October now and the ladybugs are everywhere! It reminded me of a Christmas present I made for MC that I am going to share. First of all, I created a felt board. I hot glued felt onto the back of a magnetic white board, so it serves more than one purpose. Then, I started creating the felt pieces for it. Ladybugs were my first set. I started out by drawing the outline of a ladybug on paper, cutting it out and tracing it (the head piece traced onto black felt, the body onto red felt). I decided that I'd write a song to go along with these little ladybugs, and since there are so many songs about five critters, I decided to make mine about six ladybugs. It's to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and goes a little something like this...

I made six ladybugs, each with a different number of dots on their backs (1-6) to help MC learn to count. I also created a window for the ladybugs to crawl around on. 

I gave them a test run, and let MC play with them for an afternoon to see if she liked them. I also wanted to make sure she would be interested in playing with the felt board before creating more sets, and she did! So, since then I have also created a multi-colored train, mix and match owls, the alphabet, a princess castle, a farm, and a town, complete with houses, a church, and a duck pond (MC loved feeding the ducks this summer). 

I've called it quits for now, but if she enjoys playing with the felt board, she may receive more felt sets as future gifts. It was hard to find the time to create my felt master pieces but I had a lot of fun doing it. I hope she has just as much fun playing with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment