Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Tot School, Letter D

We started learning about the letter D this week. Our D week consisted of dogs, donuts, dinosaurs, drums, decorating, daddy, dump trucks, diamonds, dresses, dancing, and much more. Here are some of our letter D activities:

We read Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs! by Sandra Boynton. I had a dinosaur and some winter clothes already cut out out of construction paper. MC studied my dinosaur, then we took it apart, and she made hers. She helped me glue the dinosaur down, then I put a dab of glue on the back of each piece of his winter clothing. I said what it was (for example: "hat") and then asked her where it goes. She placed each piece down herself. 

We read If You Give A Dog A Donut by Laura Numeroff. I cut a donut out of construction paper and MC helped me glue it down. Then I handed her a paint brush and a cup of pink paint mixed with some glue. I asked her to paint the donut. She helped me dump some sprinkles onto the wet paint/glue mixture, and then proceded to eat the left over sprinkles!

We read Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins. She helped me glue the construction paper drum down. Then we flipped the paper, I painted her hands, and she put her hand prints on the drum. We washed her hands. Then I added a foam D sticker to the drum and had MC trace it several times with her finger asking her to repeat the /d/ sound. 

We read Snowmen At Christmas by Caralyn Buehner, since it is December. I drew a tree, topped with the letter D on the back of some contact paper and taped it sticky side out on our sliding glass door. I gave MC some bows and some construction paper diamonds (a good way to learn a shape that begins with D) to decorate her tree with. After all, decorate does begin with D! 

We read Open the Barn Door... by Christopher Santoro. I gave MC a piece of white construction paper, markers, and crayons. She colored while I made the barn out of red construction paper. Then, I gave her the barn to color. When she finished, I cut the barn doors so that they would open. She helped me glue the back of the barn (not the doors!) to the white paper she colored. Then, we printed a picture of her dad (which also starts with D), I cut him out, and she helped me glue him down behind the doors. Now, she can open the doors and see dada!

After this project I wanted to get my little wiggle worm moving again. So, I wrote "D" several times on a piece of paper and cut each one out. I handed MC a letter D with a piece of double stick tape on the back and asked her to put it onto a door. I emphasized "D is for door" and the sound "/d/" over and over throughout this activity. She found a total of 14 doors, placing a D on each one. This was also a great counting opportunity!


Later in the day, we read The Little Dump Truck by Margery Cuyler. Then, we went around and she collected the D's from each door and placed them into her dump truck. Then, she dumped them into the trash! By the way, one of her favorite things to do is to dump things out, and when she does she says " dumped it" every time!

We read Go, Dog. Go! by P. D. Eastman, in which there are all kinds of dogs! I decided that we'd make a D-dog, with D-shaped ears and a D-shaped nose. We made him out of a paper plate (that MC painted brown), construction paper, and glue. Then we added some wiggle eyes. MC loves this dog and was very upset that she couldn't play with it while it was drying.

So, that was our week of the letter D. Next comes P!
















No comments:

Post a Comment