Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Tot School, Letter M

My daughter, MC and I started tot school! The letter M was our first letter. We worked on the letter M for two weeks, however, my plan from here on out is to work on each letter for only one week. Here are our M activities:

We read If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Numeroff several times throughout the two weeks. Then, I drew a muffin on brown paper and cut up strips of purple paper (this was to be our blackberry jam). MC helped me tear the purple strips into smaller pieces (a great fine motor activity). Then, I put some dabs of glue onto the muffin and she placed the purple pieces on the glue. 

We read Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. I cut a moon out of yellow paper and we glued it onto a blue piece of paper.  Then, I put a few squirts of glitter glue on the moon and handed MC a paint brush. She brushed the glitter glue around until it was spread out. 

I also made a simple moon shadow puppet to use in our walk-in closet with a flashlight. I cut a moon shape out of card stock and hot glued it onto a straw. 

Next, we read Duck Duck Moose by Dave Horowitz. I took a close-up of MC, printed it out and cut her face out. She helped me glue her picture on a piece of paper. Then, I painted her hands brown and she made herself some hand printed antlers. I added MC the Moose onto the bottom.

We read The Mitten by Jan Brett. I cut out a pair of mittens from blue paper and MC helped me glue them on. Then, after realizing that we ran out of white paint, I instead painted her hands orange and she put her handprints into the mittens. I used my hair dryer to speed up the paint's drying process, then squirt some glitter glue onto the mittens. MC used a paint brush to spread it out all over her mittens. 

We read Pip and Squeak by Ian Schoenherr. Then, I made MC a mouse mask out of felt while she worked on coloring over an M I created with painter's tape.


It actually took her several days and my help to add this much color. Then, we peeled the tape off...

...and were left with this!

Here are some of our other M activites:
I drew an M on a piece of paper and she stuck stickers onto it.

After realizing that we don't have a chalk board (it's now on my Christmas wish list), I drew an M with chalk onto black paper, then handed her the chalk to see what she would do.

MC loves to "paint" with water. I drew an M on a piece of paper and gave her a paint brush and a cup of water. 

I cut a mitten out of construction paper and gave it to her to add to her coloring table.

Throughout the two weeks, we also made muffins, went to a cafe and ate muffins, got the mail, played with magnets, listened to music, read nursery rhymes, and read lots of books. Here are some of the other M themed books we read: 
Gingerbread Mouse by Katy Bratun
Mouse's First Fall by Lauren Thompson
The Best Mouse Cookie by Laura Numeroff
The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood
If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff
Mice on Ice by Rebecca and Ed Emberley
Mooseltoe by Margie Palatini
That's Not My Mermaid... by Fiona Watt
Curious George: Snowy Day adapted by Rotem Moscovich
Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman



















No comments:

Post a Comment